Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Do we really love our enemies?



Wayne and I went to see Grace Card last night at the movies. I really hadn’t heard anything about the movie other than my Mom saw it Saturday night and she cried. I knew if she cried, I would come out bawling because she never cries at movies – I am always the crier. But, she did tell me that it was a very good movie and it was about two police officers. Hmm… that kinda hits home. :) I told Wayne Sunday night that he needed to keep either Monday or Tuesday night open so that we could go see it. It just so happened that we were able to go last night.

Wow, what a powerful message this movie lends. It is so easy to accept grace but so much harder to give. There is so much truth in that. The movie did get me thinking. Do I, or can I really love my enemies? At this point in my life, I don’t think there is any one person that I would consider my enemy. However, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

I hate to give the details away about this movie, but a tragic accident does occur and a child is killed. If I were in the parents shoes, it would be very hard for me to hand over grace and say to the person that did it, “I love you and I will pray for you daily”. However, that is what the Lord commands in Matthew. Chapter 5 verses 44-45 it reads, “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.”

The Lord does treat everyone fairly. He does the same for each and every one of us. Shouldn’t we?

No comments:

Post a Comment