Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thinking...

Over the past few weeks, I have been trying to think about different things to blog about. Yes, I know it is always fun to read about the Little Man of the house, but musings of Wayne and I are fun too, right?! Okay, so maybe that should have been a rhetorical question...

Well, Monday, I had this idea to Google "verse of the day". I am not sure why I thought about this but after my outcome, I really believe God was telling me something. As I typed the words and clicked "search", the first result was a link that stated, "verse of the day". So, I clicked on it and this is what I found:


"Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves.
Do what it says." James 1:22 NIV

I read it once, then read it again. Then went to find other translations. Through my studies, I know that the New International Version does paraphrase so I wanted to make sure I had the bulk of the verse. Here it is in the King James Version:

"Be ye doers of the word and not hearers only,
deceiving your ownselves." James 1:22 KJV

Wow. I read it a fourth and fifth time. Each time I seemed to get hit with a ton of bricks. Each time I read the verse, in my mind, I seemed to put so much more emphasis on "DO WHAT IT SAYS!" All too often I find myself just going through the motions... Just listening. I seemed to have been getting my "wake up" call as I continued to read this verse. It is not all about just going to church and reading the Word, you have to put what you have learned to action. Because like the verse says, I am only hurting myself if I am only a listener. To get the bulk of what God wants me to know, hear, and understand, He wants me to live His Word as well -- in everything I do.

Its kind of funny (I am not sure if that is the proper word to use here, but that is the only one I can think of right now) how one little verse can turn into a small devotional. How God can do so much talking to me after reading one verse. Do I believe that it was a "coincidence" that was the verse I was going to find Monday. Nope, not at all. It was meant for me that day!

In closing, here is something for you to ponder. I searched "verse of the day" again today and found this:

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward apperance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 NIV

"But the Lord said unto Samuel, look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 KJV

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you are getting your different translations, but try this site. You can look up any translation that is out there.

    www.biblegateway.com

    ReplyDelete